Djokovic back to training in Australia after court victory
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Novak Djokovic may still yet be kicked out of Australia before the Australian Open with the country’s Border Force investigating whether or not he falsified travel documents. Djokovic incorrectly claimed he had not travelled for two weeks before landing Down Under and has also admitted he breached his Covid isolation while in Serbia before Christmas.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion’s lengthy cancelled visa saga is still yet to end and despite having it restored in court this week, Djokovic’s fate is still not certain.
He had his visa revoked on January 6 after landing in Australia due to question marks over his vaccine exemption, which he had been given after testing positive for COVID-19 in December.
Djokovic was then held at a detention hotel in Carlton, Melbourne for five days as he waited to find out whether he would be allowed into the country.
But a judge ordered the release of the player from detention on Monday this week, insisting the decision to cancel his visa was “unreasonable”.
Australia’s immigration minister Alex Hawke could still yet order that the world No 1 be booted out of the country by re-cancelling his visa.
MUST READ: Djokovic statement in full as Serb admits to breaking Covid isolation
That’s with Djokovic having admitted making a false declaration on his travel forms, insisting that his agent did not make Australia fully clear of his recent travels.
Djokovic has also owned up to breaking his period of isolation, despite staying masked and socially distanced, to do an interview two days after testing positive on December 16.
Another re-cancellation of Djokovic’s visa would then surely be met with another legal challenge from Djokovic and his team, and they would hope for the Serb to still be able to play the Australian Open which begins Monday (January 17).
A spokesperson for Hawke said: “In line with due process, minister Hawke will thoroughly consider the matter. As the issue is ongoing, for legal reasons it is inappropriate to comment further.”
Express Sport provides all the latest Novak Djokovic updates below.
Djokovic faces five-year prison sentence
In his statement, Djokovic says he wasn’t aware of his positive PCR result until December 17.
But in an affidavit to the federal circuit court, it was said he was “tested and diagnosed” on 16 December.
And according to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Home Affairs Department are currently looking into the discrepancy.
The penalty for giving false evidence under the Crimes Act, it is said, is a prison sentence of five years.
It had already been reported that Djokovic could face a maximum possible jail term for providing “false or misleading information” to the government.
That’s because he said had not travelled in the 14 days before flying to Australia, which has proven to be false having been in Serbia and Spain before landing in Melbourne on January 5.
Djokovic blames agent for visa error
In his statement, Djokovic blamed his agent for an “administrative mistake” as he admitted his forms were incorrect.
They had stated the 34-year-old had not travelled in the two weeks before his flight to Australia.
The Serb wrote: “On the issue of my travel declaration, this was submitted by my support team on my behalf – as I told immigration officials on my arrival – and my agent sincerely apologies for the administrative mistake in ticking the incorrect box about my previous travel before coming to Australia.”
Djokovic addresses ‘misinformation’
Novak Djokovic released a lengthy statement on Instagram to clear up “misinformation” about his activities after testing positive for Covid.
He said: “This is misinformation which needs to be corrected, particularly in the interest of alleviating broader concern in the community about my presence in Australia, and to address matters which are very hurtful and concerning to my family.
“I want to emphasise that I have tried very hard to ensure the safety of everyone and my compliance with testing obligations.”
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Novak Djokovic (@djokernole)
Source: Read Full Article