The Indian Premier League will take an indefinite pause after several players began to test positive, including Indian wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha.
It comes as India is in the midst of a nightmarish outbreak of COVID-19, shattering horrific records.
It comes after the match between the Kolkata Knight Riders’ and Virat Kohli’s Royal Challengers Bangalore was called off just hours before its start in Ahmedabad after Varun Chakaravarthy and Sandeep Warrier became infected.
The Knight Riders are the team that Aussies Pat Cummins and Ben Cutting both play for, as well as English captain Eoin Morgan.
It comes a week after Cummins vowed to stay to play, donating $50,000 to help the nation fight the outbreak.
Terrific work @CricketAus
FYI I ended up allocating my donation to UNICEF Australia's India COVID-19 Crisis Appeal.
If you're able to, please join many others in supporting this here https://t.co/SUvGjlGRm8https://t.co/1c0NE9PFdO
On Tuesday Australian Cricketers’ Association chief executive Todd Greenberg said the players were “fine”, considering the horrific scenes in India.
“Both boys are fine, I spoke to Pat last night, they’re doing pretty well all things considered,” he told 2GB on Tuesday.
“There’s obviously a lot of anxiety about making sure they can get home safely and that’s obviously tricky given some of the government restrictions that have been put in place, too.”
The IPL has been suspended..Source:Supplied
But on Tuesday, Indian Test star and Sunrisers Hyderabad wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha reportedly tested postive, thrusting David Warner’s side into isolation.
Three Chennai Super Kings staff members also tested positive.
The entire Delhi Capitals side is also self isolating in their rooms after they played Kolkata last Thursday.
The IPL released a statement to say the suspension was “unanimously” taken by the tournament bosses and the BCCI.
“The BCCI does not want to compromise on the safety of the players, support staff and the other participants involved in organising the IPL,” the statement read. “This decision was taken keeping the safety, health and wellbeing of all the stakeholders in mind.
“These are difficult times, especially in India and while we have tried to bring in some positivity and cheer, however, it is imperative that the tournament is now suspended and everyone goes back to their families and loved ones in these trying times.
“The BCCI will do everything in its powers to arrange for the secure and safe passage of all the participants in IPL 2021.”
Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Dave Warner’s side has also been isolated.Source:Supplied
It is believed the suspension will be just one week with the competition set to be moved from Dehli to Mumbai but with the numbers skyrocketing in the country, it will remain to be seen if the franchises can bounce back that quickly.
India’s COVID-19 outbreak is breaking records with more than 400,000 new cases on Sunday alone and more than 300,000 a day over the past 12 days, with the nation registering more than 3000 deaths a day over the last week.
It is believed these are being under reported as well, with the world shocked by the scenes of death coming out of the nation.
The IPL has been a hot topic of debate after Aussie cricket stars Adam Zampa and Kane Richardson flew home from the IPL via Doha last week.
But cricket great turned commentator Michael Slater could only get to the Maldives, where he will stay until he can return to Australia, taking to Twitter to savage the Australian government.
Slater tweeted on Monday evening: “If our Government cared for the safety of Aussies they would allow us to get home. It’s a disgrace!
“Blood on your hands PM. How dare you treat us like this. How about you sort out quarantine system.
“I had government permission to work on the IPL but I now have government neglect.”
Source: Read Full Article