Premier League ‘disappointed and surprised’ by Newcastle’s statement that it had officially rejected the failed £300m Saudi takeover… and claims the deal CAN still go ahead should the ‘appropriate information’ be provided
- The £300m deal collapsed in July when the consortium withdrew their offer
- Newcastle accused the Premier League of not having acted appropriately
- But Richard Master and the League have since hit back to express their surprise
The Premier League have labelled Mike Ashley’s claims that they blocked the proposed takeover of Newcastle United as ‘incorrect’ and say they are still waiting for ‘all appropriate information’ from the Saudi-led consortium.
The Newcastle owner issued a statement on Wednesday night in which he accused Premier League chief executive Richard Masters of not acting ‘appropriately’ and said the £300million deal had been formally rejected. He also hinted at taking legal action.
But the League have responded, and said in a statement: ‘The Premier League was disappointed and surprised by the Newcastle United Football Club statement regarding its potential takeover by PCP Capital Partners, the Reuben Brothers and the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia (PIF).
Richard Masters and the Premier League have said they are surprised at Newcastle’s statement
Newcastle released a statement saying the £300m deal had been officially rejected by them
‘The club’s assertion that the Premier League has rejected the takeover is incorrect.
‘The Premier League Board has, on a number of occasions, given its opinion about which entities it believes would have control over the club should the consortium proceed with the acquisition. That opinion is based on legal advice.
‘This means the potential takeover could proceed to the next stage should the relevant entities provide all appropriate information. They would then be subject to a suitability assessment by the Board. As an alternative, the Board has repeatedly offered independent arbitration as a way forward since June.
‘It is also incorrect to suggest these decisions were taken by any individual; they were agreed unanimously by all Premier League Board members.’
The deal collapsed in July when the consortium including Amanda Staveley withdrew
Mike Ashley also accused the League of acting inappropriately and hinted at legal action
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article