Manchester City ace Joao Cancelo ‘assaulted’ by ‘four cowards’ as he has jewellery stolen

In pictures: Brentford v Man City

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Manchester City star Joao Cancelo has claimed that he was assaulted and had jewellery stolen in an attack at his home. The Premier League club have confirmed that a police investigation has begun after the defender shared a message with his two million social media followers. 

Cancelo, who lives with his partner Daniela and baby daughter Alicia, posted a picture of himself to his Instagram story and told his followers that he had been targeted by ‘four cowards’. 

He wrote: “Unfortunately today I was assaulted by four cowards who hurt me and tried to hurt my family.

“When you show resistance this is what happens.

“They managed to take all my jewlry [sic] and leave me with my face with this state. I don’t know how there are people with such meanness. 

“The most important thing for me is my family and luckily they are all ok.

JUST IN: Rangnick suffers blow to reunion plans as transfer chief snubs Man Utd

“After so many obstacles in my life, this is just one more that I will overcome. Firm and strong, like always.”

A Man City statement said: “We are shocked and appalled that Joao Cancelo and his family were subjected to a burglary at their home this evening during which Joao was also assaulted.

“Joao and his family are being supported by the club and he is helping the police with their enquiries as they investigate this very serious matter.”

The message accompanied a picture of the 27-year-old with what appeared to be a gash above his right eye. 

The former Juventus man played the full 90 minutes as City defeated Brentford 1-0 in the Premier League on Wednesday night.

Phil Foden’s goal put Pep Guardiola’s side eight points clear at the top of the division and on course to win a second successive league title.  

City’s title rivals, Chelsea and Liverpool, both dropped points this week. The Blues drew 1-1 with Brighton while the Reds were beaten 1-0 by Leicester. 

Cancelo has become one of the top-flight’s best full-backs under Guardiola and has the chance to win a second Premier League. 

He was named in the PFA Team of the Year at the end of last season after helping the club win the title back from Liverpool. 

Confident that City can retain the trophy, Cancelo told the club’s website earlier this month: “We are a very strong team and we are in good shape at the moment.

DON’T MISS…
Ronaldo shows up Di Maria and two other Man Utd flops in Burnley win
Arsenal at risk of losing Coutinho with Barca ace ‘attracted’ by club
Man Utd boss Rangnick impressed by four stars during Burnley win

“It’s important that we are all giving our best level so we can achieve our goals at the end of the season which are winning as many trophies as possible. 

“We have the Premier League, the Champions League and soon the FA Cup to fight for until the end of the season. 

“I think Liverpool and Chelsea are both very strong sides and they are going to be contenders with us in the title race. 

“They have a different football style than us, but both sides are really strong. I think the three teams are showing that we are the main candidates to win the Premier League trophy.”

Source: Read Full Article