Callum Hudson-Odoi has revealed he has made a full recovery after contracting coronavirus last month and has thanked Chelsea fans for all their support during the health scare. The 19-year-old was the first Premier League footballer to test positive for COVID-19 and had to self-isolate for 14 days to avoid spreading the illness.
Hudson-Odoi’s diagnosis was one of the key events that preceded the Premier League season being postponed, with all fixtures put on hold while the UK went into lockdown with social distancing measures.
The Chelsea winger only experienced mild symptoms but all of his team-mates and members of first-team staff also had to self-isolate as a precautionary measure.
Hudson-Odoi is fully recovered now and is keen to share his experience and show his gratitude to Chelsea fans who offered their support.
Speaking to the official Chelsea FC website over a video call, Hudson-Odoi said: “I am feeling perfect. I had the virus which has cleared now. I fully feel good, I feel fit, so I am feeling back to myself so it is all good.
JUST IN: Former Chelsea medic reveals why footballers at top clubs more vulnerable to coronavirus
“I had it [the illness] three weeks ago now I think, on a Monday when I felt a bit hot and I was thinking ‘this is a bit unusual, why do I feel this hot?’
“The next day I was feeling back to normal. I thought it was just a minor temperature thing, but obviously it wasn’t. I said to myself this wasn’t actually that bad, the symptoms, and I said to myself ‘I feel good, I feel better’.
“Everything is happening so fast and I did not know this virus would be such a major thing and so big in the world and affect so many people.
“Everyone has to be careful and judge things how they go and hopefully the virus will go soon and everyone will be back to normal.”
Best and worst Chelsea players this season ranked as stats highlight four huge problems
How Chelsea could line up with every player a different nationality – John Terry left out
Chelsea’s Stamford Bridge ranked as worst Premier League stadium experience on matchdays
- Chelsea issue these detailed training orders amid coronavirus lockdown
Hudson-Odoi reiterated the government’s guidelines about social distancing, encouraging Chelsea supporters to stay at home to stop the spread of coronavirus.
He said: “I want the football to come back as soon as possible, I’d want it to come back today if it could but this thing [pandemic] is growing and it is going to keep growing so the thing is we want everyone to stay safe and stay well.
“We want to be out there playing football and we want to enjoy what we are doing and we want the fans to be enjoying everything with us.
“I would like to say to them thank you for all the support that you have shown. They have been so encouraging and making sure that I have been okay. Thank you for that but also, I can’t wait to be back playing on that pitch again.”
- Chelsea star slams ‘selfish’ people ignoring coronavirus lockdown
Euro 2020 has been postponed for 12 months in order to allow European domestic leagues to complete their fixture lists this summer.
And Hudson-Odoi is aware that this has allowed him a chance to regain form and fitness before hopefully staking a claim in Gareth Southgate’s England squad ahead of the rescheduled tournament.
“I am fully fit, I am feeling great, I am feeling perfect. I have no injuries so right now I can’t wait to be back on the pitch and showing again what I am capable of,” he said.
“For me it is an opportunity to show again and keep pushing myself to the max to hopefully have an opportunity to go to the Euros. The Euros is a massive thing and I have big belief in myself and hopefully I will be able to get into the team.
“I just want to make sure that I keep pushing myself every game and every minute and making sure that I keep trying to score goals and make assists and keep trying to help the team as much as possible to get what we want, which is a trophy at the end of the day.”
Source: Read Full Article