ARL Commission chairman Peter V‘landys has revealed the NRL is considering relocating the Melbourne Storm to NSW as Victoria deals with the state’s COVID-19 lockdown.
V’landys confirmed the Storm’s potential move on SEN Radio on Monday, declaring the unpredictable nature of the coronavirus means the league must be proactive.
Melbourne is used to change on the run after spending the majority of their 2022 premiership based on Queensland‘s Sunshine Coast.
“There’s a possibility at some point that the New South Wales and Victorian borders may close, and we can’t take that risk,“ V‘landys said.
“We’ve got to be two to three steps ahead, we were last year, and we hope to be again this year.
“We’ve got strategies for all scenarios, we’re ready.”
Storm officials however were adamant on Monday morning they had no plans to move and had been given approval to continue to train in Melbourne despite the lockdown which is set to end at midnight on Wednesday.
“There are currently no plays for Storm to move from it’s home at AAMI Park in Melbourne,” a club statement said.
“We will monitor the situation closely and plan accordingly.”
Prior to setting up a base on the Sunshine Coast last year, Melbourne spent time in the NSW/Victoria border city of Albury.
Victoria’s lockdown has forced seven Storm players to withdraw from this Saturday‘s Harvey Norman All Stars match in Townsville while a trial match between the Storm and Warriors on Saturday has also been cancelled.
Source: Read Full Article