Decision handed down in Latrell Mitchell’s Taree firearms case

South Sydney star Latrell Mitchell has avoided a criminal conviction for his firearm offence after his infamous camping weekend with fellow NRL star Josh Addo-Carr in April.

The weekend was a scandal at the time with the NRL looking to get back on the field after suspending the season due to the COVID-19 pandemic earlier in the year.

Watch The State of Origin II Full & Mini REPLAY on Kayo with no ad-breaks during play and Fox League Commentary. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly

Mitchell, Addo-Carr and Tyronne Roberts-Davies were all hit with $1000 fines with both Mitchell and Addo-Carr facing further punishment with $20,000 fines from the NRL with a further $30,000 suspended until the end of the season.

But The Mid North Coast News reported Taree Court Magistrate Claire Girotto took just five minutes to sentence Mitchell to a 12-month community corrections order with his offence at the “lowest end” for the charge.

Josh Addo-Carr and Latrell Mitchell flouting social distancing rules during a trip to Taree.Source:FOX SPORTS

Mitchell pleaded guilty to the charge as Girotto reportedly said “there was no risk of safety to anyone” after seeing the footage of Addo-Carr discharging a shotgun.

But the ABC reported that the Magistrate also left Mitchell with a warning.

“That means if you come to court for anything else, this comes back to bite you,” she said.

Addo-Carr was due to be sentenced in October himself but it was held over until March having been in the NRL’s regular season and now State of Origin coronavirus bubbles.

After the April incident, Mitchell had his firearms license seized with a number of guns taken by police in Taree.

“Following extensive inquiries, a 22-year-old man attended Taree Police Station about 11.15am today,” NSW Police said in a statement at the time.

“He has been issued with a Future Court Attendance Notice for the offence of give firearm to person not authorised by licence/permit.

“His firearms licence was suspended, and a number of firearms were seized by police.”

Latrell Mitchell’s first season with the Rabbitohs ended in injury.Source:News Corp Australia

Mitchell and Addo-Carr copped swift and vitriolic anger at the time, having been seen to have put the NRL season in jeopardy by breaking social distancing restrictions with the camping trip.

Videos and photos of the trio were shared across social media at the time, including by the NRL stars themselves, which showed them in a group of 12 in a breach of social distancing guidelines implemented to help slow the spread of coronavirus.

Both men also apologised for the incident at the time.

Source: Read Full Article