Magpies star calls time on AFL career

Collingwood defender Tom Langdon has officially called time on his AFL career, confirming his retirement on Monday.

Langdon has been battling knee problems for several months which has kept him out of the game since round nine of the 2019 season.

The 26-year-old announced his retirement on Monday afternoon, and has been delisted from the club.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

He played 89 games for the Magpies, and competed in the club’s 2018 grand final loss to West Coast.

Langdon was recruited by Collingwood with pick 65 at the 2013 AFL Draft.

Tom Langdon of the Magpies.Source:AAP

Collingwood general manager of football Geoff Walsh said in a statement: “Tom played some wonderful football for Collingwood and it was a sad day when the reality of his premature retirement arrived.

“We saw him work incredibly hard to get back. He pushed himself through so much pain to keep his hopes of a comeback flickering. Given his talent and application, his finish is a cruel football story.

“We’re all confident that Tom will make a success of the next phase of his life and we wish him well.”

The defender revealed he was considering retirement in March, eight months after suffering the career-ending injury.

“It’s been a tough eight months, to be honest, to wrap my head around that being an option, being 25 and young and reasonably healthy,” Langdon told 7 NEWS.

“That’s been a hard reality to come to terms with but at this stage a lot of water to go under the bridge and it is feeling quite good, so I’m feeling pretty optimistic.

“The club’s been super supportive the whole time, they’ve never pushed me. We’re both trying our hardest at the moment to get up and play again because obviously I love Collingwood and I love playing AFL football. That’s the goal. I guess we’re on track to a degree.”

Tom Langdon of the Magpies.Source:AAP

Speaking to AFL.com.au in February, Magpies coach Nathan Buckley admitted retirement was shaping up as a strong possibility for the backman.

“We’re still going down the path because we feel, on balance, that Langers can still get back and play the game he loves, in an environment that he loves,” Buckley said.

“So that’s our endeavour, and we’re working towards that.”

Last week, Collingwood delisted Rupert Wills and Flynn Appleby and also parted ways with premiership player Dayne Beams.

Source: Read Full Article