Ex-NFLer Stanley Wilson Jr. died of natural causes from a blood clot

Ex-NFL player Stanley Wilson Jr. died of natural causes from a blood clot, autopsy reveals – ending months of speculation after his family claimed he was ‘beaten by law enforcement’

  • Wilson Jr.’s family filed a lawsuit against Los Angeles County back in March 
  • But an autopsy says a clot disrupted blood flow to the lungs, leading to his death 
  • DailyMail.com provides all the latest international sports news 

Former Detroit Lions cornerback Stanley Wilson Jr. died from a pulmonary thromboembolism, which was likely caused by a blood clot, according to an autopsy obtained by TMZ.

Wilson was pronounced dead in February after officials at Metropolitan State Hospital – a state-run mental health institution – after officials say he collapsed suddenly and did not regain consciousness.

The family of Wilson hired an attorney who filed suits against Los Angeles County in March, saying they ‘grossly misrepresented the cause’ of his death.

But an autopsy determined that a pulmonary thromboembolism, a blood clot that stops blood flow to an artery in the lung, was the cause of death.

The same report found ‘red abrasions’ on Wilson’s ‘forehead, right hand, and right knee,’ but the autopsy says those were ‘superficial’.

Stanley Wilson Jr.’s family believes he was beaten by law enforcement officials before he died

The ex-Detroit Lions cornerback (R) died at Metropolitan State Hospital aged 40 on February 1

The attorney representing the family, John C Carpenter, alleged at a March press conference that photos indicate that Wilson Jr. was the victim of excessive force by LA law enforcement before he died on February 1.

The lawyer claimed that photos appeared to show markings on Wilson’s wrists and that wounds on hiss head appear to show that he was either kicked or stomped on. 

The claim filed at the time also alleged that ‘Wilson Jr.’s body had other physical injuries which indicate that he did not merely “collapse” at the Metropolitan State Hospital as has been widely and misleadingly reported.’

It added that representatives from Metropolitan State Hospital have said that they have no record of Wilson Jr. ever being at their facility while alive. 

Wilson Jr.’s grieving mother Dr. D. Pulane Lucas said that county officials had told her that her son had collapsed and fallen out of a chair while going through the intake process at Metropolitan State Hospital before he died.

However, Carpenter claimed that the photos showed a ‘stark contrast to what we’ve been hearing.’ 

The attorney filed three cases against LA County Tuesday, one on behalf of Wilson Jr’s mother, one on behalf of his father, former NFL running back Stanley Wilson Sr., and one on behalf of his estate, seeking damages in excess of $45 million.

‘The County has grossly misrepresented the cause and circumstances of Stanley Wilson Jr.’s death,’ Carpenter said in the court filings.

Wilson Jr.’s grieving mother Dr. D. Pulane Lucas could not hold back tears on Tuesday 

Wilson Jr’s father, former running back Stanley Wilson Sr., said the family just ‘wants the truth’

Attorney John C Carpenter (second right) said photos indicate that Wilson Jr. was the victim of excessive force by law enforcement officials before his death 

‘We just want the truth,’ Wilson Jr.’s father, Wilson Sr. said at the time. ‘It hurts really bad to bury your child.’ 

He went on to describe his son a a meek, humble, fun, loving, and charismatic man who attended Stanford University but the family said he suddenly became less social, more withdrawn, anxious and depressed. 

Last year, Wilson was charged with two felony counts of vandalism and one count of second-degree burglary after breaking into a Hollywood Hills mansion on two separate occasions, most recently taking a bath in an outdoor fountain after moving and damaging items in the home on August 24. 

His alleged outdoor bath was said to have caused $5,000 in damage, and Wilson was arrested on both occasions.

After residing in county jail, Wilson was ruled not fit to stand trial and as such was moved to the mental facility on February 1, where he died the same day. 

In 2016, Wilson was shot by a homeowner while attempting to break into a Portland residence naked. He was also arrested for that incident.

The former Detroit Lion poses for a mugshot in  2017 after he was arrested for alleged break-in

Wilson Jr. was drafted by the Lions in the third round of the 2005 NFL Draft – 72nd overall

Stanley Wilson attended Stanford prior to his NFL career, playing for the Cardinal in 2001-04

The following year, he conducted another break-in while naked, and was again taken into custody.

Wilson was taken in the third round of the 2005 NFL Draft by the Lions, playing just three seasons.

He suffered a career-ending Achilles tear in 2008 against New England in an exhibition game, prior to the regular season’s commencement.

Throughout his career, Wilson played 32 games, starting nine, recording one forced fumble, 89 tackles – 64 of those solo.

Prior to being drafted by the Lions, Wilson was a college star at Stanford. He enrolled at the prestigious Northern California school in 2000 and played for the Cardinal football team between 2001-04.

He was the son of ex-Cincinnati Bengals running back Stanley Wilson Sr., who played for the Ohio franchise intermittently in 1983-84, 1986 and 1988. 

Stanley Wilson Jr. (L) readies to receive the ball from his father Stanley Wilson Sr. in the 1990s

Stanley Wilson was a pivotal part of the Cincinnati Bengals’ run to Super Bowl XXIII in 1989

He was suspended for the Super Bowl after being caught high on cocaine by a position coach

Wilson Sr. was infamously caught high on cocaine on the eve of 1989’s Super Bowl XXIII by Bengals position coach Jim Anderson. 

He was suspended for the game, in which Cincinnati ultimately lost, and never played in the league again. 

Previously, he was suspended for the entirety of the 1985 and 1987 seasons after violating the NFL’s drug policy. 

As a result, Wilson Sr.’s Super Bowl indiscretion meant he was banned for life since it was his third drug offense. In 1999, he was sentenced to 22 years in prison for stealing from a Beverly Hills home.

Source: Read Full Article