The 2020 NFL draft is in the books.
And, the 85th annual "Player Selection Meeting" will long be remembered for its unique circumstances due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, which forced the draft to go "virtual."
While much of the first round was chalk, there still were a number of questionable selections. The most polarizing pick might have been the Green Bay Packers' selection of Utah State QB Jordan Love in the first round.
Not so surprising was the Cincinnati Bengals' selection of LSU QB Joe Burrow. The Bengals' rebuild might be more rapid than expected. Elsewhere, the Minnesota Vikings made an astonishing 15 selections, including 11 in Rounds 4-7. The Dallas Cowboys are giddy over their draft luck.
Let's look back at the weekend that was in the 2020 NFL draft:
A view of a billboard on Interstate 71 North welcoming LSU quarterback Joe Burrow to Cincinnati. (Photo: Aaron Doster, USA TODAY Sports)
PHOTOS: 2020 NFL draft first-round picks
2020 NFL draft: Grades, analysis, more
- Draft grades: How did your favorite team fare? If you're a Cowboys or Vikings fan, you're probably elated. Not so much if you root for the Packers or Texans.
- 32 things we learned: National champion LSU's dominance continued with this year's draft.
- Biggest offseason questions: The draft was a welcome distraction, but some tough decisions lie ahead for the NFL.
- 13 biggest steals: From potential No. 1 WRs to lockdown DBs, the draft had plenty of players poised to provide tremendous value.
- 8 undrafted rookies who could catch on: Despite not being selected over the weekend, these players still might find a place in the NFL.
- Cowboys elated over draft haul: Steal after steal fell to the Cowboys, at positions of need and want.
- Patriots didn't draft a QB: Bill Belichick said that not picking a passer "wasn't by design."
- Packers don't draft a WR: It seemed a foregone conclusion that Green Bay would select a receiver. That … didn't happen.
- Optics of draft illuminate NFL's diversity problem:Fritz Pollard Alliance executive rails over lack of minority GMs and coaches as draft showcased overwhelmingly white decision-makers.
- Round 1 winners and losers: Several teams and players got a boost, while others saw their first-round picks fall flat.
- Draft tracker: Round 1 | Rounds 2-3 | Rounds 4-7
- Draft: Team-by-team look at all 255 selections
Roger Goodell got a bit more comfortable late night Friday. (Photo: AP)
PHOTOS: Ultimate NFL draft Round 1
Viral 'virtual' draft moments
The 2020 NFL draft will long be remembered given its unique circumstances. Here are some of the highlights:
- Bill Belichick's dog becomes a star on draft Day 2
- Roger Goodell got really comfy late Friday night
- Somebody built a LEGO replica of Kliff Kingsbury's lavish house
- Jerry Jones' draft room was (of course) on his super yacht
- Javon Kinlaw's father had best reaction to son's selection
- Everybody was confused by what was going on at Mike Vrabel's house
- Should all NFL drafts be done 'virtually' from home?
The bizarre scene inside the home of Tennessee Titans coach Mike Vrabel as the Titans made their first-round pick. (Photo: Mark Giannotto, The Commercial Appeal)
PHOTOS: No. 1 overall draft picks since 1985
Join our NFL Facebook group!
This is how you can help pass the time during the quarantine, football fans. Join The Ruling Off the Field, engage in friendly debate and conversation with fellow football fans and our NFL insiders. Do the right thing, sign up now!
The Ruling Off the Field – USA TODAY Sports NFL Facebook group logo (Photo: USA TODAY)
Source: Read Full Article