Nate Diaz jokes he wants to fight The Rock or he'll just stay retired

‘I’m only going to fight The Rock… otherwise I’m good!’: UFC legend Nate Diaz jokes that Dwayne Johnson is the only matchup that could tempt him out of retirement as rumors continue to swirl about Jake Paul showdown

  • Nate Diaz tweeted that the only person getting him out of retirement is The Rock
  • Diaz’s UFC contract recently expired, although he’s open to boxing Jake Paul 
  • Dwayne Johnson has never competed in MMA, nor has hinted at doing so
  • Johnson, 50, also outweighs the 37-year-old Diaz by roughly 100 pounds 

UFC legend Nate Diaz could be headed for a boxing showdown with Jake Paul, but the only way he’s stepping back into the octagon is for a showdown with actor, wrestler and erstwhile college football player, Dwayne Johnson. 

‘Im (sic) only going to fight the rock,’ Diaz tweeted. ‘Otherwise I’m goood.’

Diaz recently revealed that a boxing match with Paul is an option after his farewell fight victory over Tony Ferguson earlier this month. The 37-year-old Diaz’s contract with the UFC has now expired, making him a combat sports free agent. 

 Nate Diaz prepares to fight Tony Ferguson in a welterweight fight during the UFC 279 event at T-Mobile Arena on September 10

UFC legend Nate Diaz may be headed for a boxing showdown with Jake Paul, but the only way he’s stepping back into the octagon is for a showdown with actor, wrestler and former college football player, Dwayne Johnson

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson presents the BMF Belt during the UFC 244 event at Madison Square Garden on November 02, 2019 in New York

The Rock has appeared at several UFC events. At Madison Square Garden in 2019 (pictured), for instance, Johnson presented the Welterweight ‘BMF’ championship belt to Jorge Masvidal following his medical-stoppage win over Diaz (right)

Johnson, a former WWE wrestler and defensive tackle at the University of Miami, has never competed in MMA and has not expressed an interest in doing so. 

He has, however, appeared at several UFC events. At Madison Square Garden in 2019, for instance, Johnson presented the welterweight ‘BMF’ championship belt to Jorge Masvidal following his medical-stoppage win over Diaz. 

Speaking with YouTube channel iD Boxing, Diaz recently said that Paul is ‘for sure one of the options’ he has going forward. 

‘He’s doing big stuff,’ Diaz said, before referencing Paul’s upcoming fight with ex-UFC star Anderson Silva. ‘He’s doing big things. He’s got a big fight ahead of him.

‘I’m sure if he wins that, I’m sure people will be really impressed by it. And if Anderson [Silva] does his thing on him that’s impressive also.

‘Now we’ve got a fight on his hands. I’m looking forward to it.’


Nate Diaz would consider a fight with YouTuber-turned-boxer Jake Paul in the future

The 25-year-old Paul is 5-0 as a boxer, but has never fought anyone with a substantial resume in the ring. Bouts with experienced boxers Tommy Fury and Hasim Rahman Jr. were called off over his opponents’ travel and weight issues, respectively. 

Currently Paul is awaiting an October 29 bout with another UFC legend, Silva, in Glendale, Arizona.  

When asked who would win, Diaz couldn’t bring himself to predict either.  

 ‘Fifty-fifty,’ he said. ‘I don’t know we’ll see what happens.’

Diaz left with the UFC with a submission win over Ferguson at UFC 279 following his protracted public contract battle with the promotion and its top executive, Dana White.  

‘I want to get out of the UFC for a little bit and show all these UFC fighters how to takeover and own up another sport how you’re supposed to do it,’ Diaz said. 

Nate Diaz punches Tony Ferguson in a welterweight fight during the UFC 279 event at T-Mobile Arena on September 10

Source: Read Full Article