Jacare Souza pulled from UFC 249 card after testing positive for coronavirus

Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza has been pulled out of his bout with Uriah Hall at UFC 249 after testing positive for coronavirus.

The Brazilian middleweight was due to fight on the undercard of Justin Gaethje's clash with Tony Ferguson in Jacksonville, Florida on Saturday.

Two members of Souza's team also returned positive Covid-19 tests, leaving UFC no option but to remove that bout from the card.

A UFC statement said: "UFC’s medical team examined Souza and his two cornermen and found them to be currently asymptomatic, or not exhibiting the common symptoms of COVID-19. 

"As per UFC’s health and safety protocols, all three men have left the host hotel and will be self-isolating off premises, where UFC’s medical team will monitor their conditions remotely and will provide assistance with any necessary treatment.

"From their arrival earlier in the week until their departure today, Souza and his cornermen followed UFC health and safety protocols, including practicing social distancing, wearing personnel protective equipment, and self-isolating whenever possible."

None of the other athletes due to compete at UFC 249 have returned positive tests for coronavirus, meaning the event should still go ahead.

Hall posted a message of support to Souza on Twitter after hearing the news.

He said: "Brother I know it sucks I’m sorry you have to go through this I am beyond devastated for the missed opportunity I wish you nothing but recovery for you and your family."

UFC have been implementing strict measures to reduce the risk of coronavirus spreading, including testing all athletes and staff upon their arrival in Florida.

Source: Read Full Article