Conor McGregor has rejected Dustin Poirier's offer to fight at 170lb this summer.
The rivals are due to meet at lightweight in Las Vegas on July 10 to settle their six-year rivalry which currently stands at one win each.
And having fought at 145lb in 2014 and 155lb in January, Poirier suggested they add another 15lb to their frames for UFC 264.
But McGregor, who has been calling out welterweight champion Kamaru Usman, declined, replying simply: "No".
McGregor and Poirier had hoped to fight at 170lb earlier this year but UFC president Dana White dismissed their pleas.
Poirier went on to stop his rival in the second round and has now agreed to a trilogy fight rather than one for the vacant lightweight belt.
That will be on the line next month when Michael Chandler takes on Charles OIiveira at UFC 262.
McGregor, meanwhile, spent his weekend calling out Usman before and after the Nigerian knocked out Jorge Masvidal in the second round of their rematch.
McGregor has previously vowed to campaign at 170lb in a bid to add a third belt to his collection but has so far fought only Nate Diaz and Donald Cerrone in the higher weight class.
He reiterated his desire on Sunday, tweeting: "I’m a block at 170 guys. Give me till end of year at this 155 weight. I’ll get the strap and then I’ll go up again."
McGregor has long intended to fight at least three times this year and believes victory in his rubber match with Poirier will elevate him into a title shot.
And Chandler believes the Dubliner will come out on top against Poirier – and be the opponent for his first defence of the title.
“Most likely I’m fighting Conor or Poirier next, whoever wins that fight,” he told ESPN. “I think it’s Conor. … I think there’s a very few little things that Conor can do to win that fight. I think it’s Conor McGregor sometime later this fall or winter, but also that’s probably wishful thinking.
“If it’s Dustin Poirier, I’m excited about that opportunity, as well. I think I match up better against Dustin Poirier than I do a lot of guys in the division.
"That’s why I called for that fight right away. … If I put my money on it, I think it’s going to be Conor. I think he makes some very small, minor adjustments and he gets the win in that trilogy – at least that’s what I’m believing, and that’s what my mind says who I think wins that fight.”
Source: Read Full Article