Canelo's manager claims Mexican is a FREE AGENT after leaving DAZN

Boxing’s £278MILLION divorce? Canelo Alvarez claims he is now a FREE AGENT after suing broadcaster DAZN over their failure to agree two bouts in 2020 as part of his mega 10-fight contract

  • Canelo Alvarez is a free agent after parting ways with DAZN, says his manager
  • In October 2018, Alvarez signed a 10-fight deal worth £278million with DAZN
  • However, the COVID pandemic has caused the disruption to his five-year deal 
  • The Mexican entered a legal dispute with the streaming service earlier this year
  • Now his team are claiming the ‘issue has been solved’ and he is free from his deal

The manager of Canelo Alvarez has claimed that the boxing superstar is now a free agent after parting ways with DAZN.

Alvarez, a four-weight world champion, has been at war with the streaming service over his mega £278million 10-fight deal, which saw him file a complaint against his promoter Oscar De La Hoya, Golden Boy Promotions and DAZN back in September.

Back in October 2018, Alvarez put pen to paper on the big-money deal but just two bouts into that contract, Alvarez believes there was a breach in contract after two of his bouts in 2020 never went ahead following the coronavirus outbreak. 


Canelo Alvarez (left) has parted ways with promoter DAZN and is now a free agent, says his manager Eddy Reynoso (right), who announced the news on Instagram on Friday afternoon

A press release from Canelo’s team on Friday claimed the 30-year-old is now a free agent

Now, after months of legal battles, Alvarez’s manager Eddy Reynoso announced the sensational news on Instagram on Friday afternoon, where he claimed that the ‘administrative problem’ involving the 30-year-old has been ‘solved’.

The Instagram post from Reynoso read: ‘In my role as a manager and coach of Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, I allow myself to communicate to the boxing community and to all our fans, that starting today, November 6th, “Canelo” becomes a free agent, so we are ready to continue with his boxing career.

‘All this time we have been working very hard in the gym with a lot of responsibility and discipline, to be in great physical shape and ready to fight this year and it will be!

The 30-year-old has been at loggerheads with his promoter and DAZN over his 10-fight deal

‘We will announce date, rival and place very soon, and we will return stronger than ever to keep growing and showing that Mexican boxing is the best. Thank you!’

Accompanying the press release, a caption from the Mexican’s team read: ‘Thank you very much to all those who have been pending our administrative problem.

‘Thank you for your support, after several months we have solved this issue, and we are ready to continue making history!’

Alvarez confirmed in September that he had filed a lawsuit against DAZN after a reports claimed that he hadn’t been paid the full fight purse after two bouts – with the streaming service reportedly offering him roughly half as much.

Almost two years ago, Alvarez penned a 10-fight deal with DAZN worth £278million

In a statement to The Athletic back in September, Alvarez said: ‘I’m the pound-for-pound No 1 in the world. I’m not scared of any opponent in the ring, and I’m not going to let failures of my broadcaster or promoters keep me out of the ring.

‘I filed the lawsuit so I can get back to boxing and give my fans the show they deserve.’ 

DAZN have been contacted for comment by Sportsmail 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article