The NBL has postponed the clash between the Illawarra Hawks and South East Melbourne Phoenix, due to be played on Thursday night, following positive COVID-19 cases from the Hawks.
The Hawks players and staff were alerted to a problem when they took rapid tests on Wednesday, and were then sent for the full tests with results coming back positive.
All Hawks players and staff are double-vaccinated and the league said postponing the game was a decision made in line with the NBL’s COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
The Phoenix knew about the situation but had been planning to fly to NSW on Wednesday in the hope they would end up playing. It is not clear if they made the trip to NSW.
“The health and safety of the players, coaches, clubs, staff and fans is the league’s No.1 priority when considering these matters,” the NBL said in a statement.
“The NBL will continue to follow the advice of governments and health authorities and further testing will be carried out on any individuals impacted or those deemed close contacts.”
Sports news, results and expert commentary. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.
Most Viewed in Sport
Source: Read Full Article