‘Armed police’ stop sprinter in Tesla in alleged ‘racial profiling’ incident

Athletics star Ricardo Dos Santos has claimed he was pulled over by seven armed police officers two years after allegedly being racially profiled during a stop and search.

The 27-year-old posted video footage of the latest incident on Twitter. The 400-metre runner was driving a Tesla, with fitted cameras that recorded the incident, and he said police had asked him to pull over after believing he was using his mobile phone while driving in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Dos Santos said "nothing had changed" since he was pulled over with his partner, Great Britain athlete Bianca Williams, and their child in 2020.

READ NOW: Skiing world champion dies aged 26 with friend in French Alps hiking tragedy

Dos Santos posted three videos of the incident on Twitter saying that the full video was with his lawyer. The first video shows the Portuguese star, who competed at the delayed 2020 Tokyo Olympics last year, driving along a three-lane road in South London when police pulled him over.

In the series of Tweets he says: "Not surprised I had to go through this again. Whilst driving home last night seven armed Met Police officers stopped me because they thought I was on my phone whilst driving. At their request I pulled over when safe to do so.

"After I stopped two officers ran towards either side of the car, one fist clenched banged on my window and tried opening the car door. Not knowing how to use a Tesla handle he took out his baton out of frustration ready to smash the glass.

"Annoyed that two years down (since previously being stopped by police) nothing has changed but they still manage to over police. Why do seven armed officers need to be present when I was alone. Two or three max would of been enough."

Dos Santos faced some critics on Twitter who stated that he could have pulled over sooner when police asked him too.

Following the posts, the Met Police responded with their own statement claiming the vehicle in question had failed to stop initially. They said: "We are aware of footage on social media showing part of a stop on a car.

"At about 4am on Sunday, August 14, armed officers were on routine patrol in a marked police vehicle. They saw a car travelling eastbound on the A40 Westway and were concerned the driver may be using a mobile phone at the wheel.

"The officers clearly indicated for the car to pull over but it failed to do so and they called for further assistance. The driver stopped about five minutes later in Orsett Terrace W2, and the officers spoke to him about why they wanted to stop the vehicle."

Two years ago Metropolitan Police Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick apologised to Santos' partner Williams for the "distress" caused by a stop and search.

That resulted in a police sergeant and four other force members facing a gross misconduct disciplinary hearing over the incident.

READ NEXT:

  • Tyson Fury might duet with Adele and Ed Sheeran as boxing champ recording album

  • Harry Styles 'shows support' for Daniel Ricciardo as McLaren look to oust popular Aussie

  • Gerwyn Price accuses Australian crowd of 'ruining' final after loss to Michael van Gerwen

Source: Read Full Article